Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting
1 Cup wholewheat flour 1
/4 Cup oil
1/2 Teaspoon baking soda, and 1 Teaspoon baking powder
1/2 Cup sugar and 1/8 Teaspoon salt
2 Bananas, very ripe, mashed
1/4 Cup soy milk
1/4 Teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon icing sugar (for dusting)
1/2 Cup vegan margarine
2 Cups icing sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons soymilk
1/3 Cup cocoa powder
Dash of salt
* Mix soy milk and balsamic vinegar and leave for 5 minutes to curdle.
* Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
* Beat oil and sugar with a handheld mixer for two minutes.
* Add the soy milk mixture and beat until just mixed.
* Add the mashed bananas and beat until smooth.
* Gradually add flour mix, beating in after each addition until mixture is smooth. Do not over beat.
* Line a square pan/casserole dish with parchment paper and brush with oil.
* Pour in the batter and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in a 180 degree Celsius oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
* Cool, before cutting the cake in half, frosting both halves and stacking them on top of each other. This gives you a double hit of the icing!
* Soften the margarine and cream with sugar.
* Add the vanilla extract, soymilk, cocoa powder, and salt.
* Mix until the frosting is light and fluffy.
* Frost your cake!
Source: Ana Lenard