Carrot or Courgette Cake
2 cups flour and 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 and a half cups grated carrot (or courgette)
1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp each cinnamon, ground ginger, mixed spice
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp salt and 1 cup cooking oil
1 cup currants
* Mix the dry ingredients together (except baking soda).
* Add oil, currants, and carrot/courgette.
* Dissolve baking soda in milk and stir into mixture.
* Add a little water if necessary (usually required if you’re using wholemeal flour).
* Bake in greased tin for 45 to 55 minutes (until a knife or skewer comes out clean) at 180°C.
* Remove from oven and leave it to stand for five minutes before turning out.
* Mixture can be used in muffins or in larger cakes!
* Serve warm with soy cream or leave to cool and smother in icing.
Source: Adapted by Amanda Sorrenson