Cheese & Black Bean Chimichangas
Pack of soft tortilla wraps allowing
3 per person
3 cloves of garlic crushed
2 tsp salt
3 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
Half a red pepper, diced
1-2 cups of chopped vegetables
of your choice like cauliflower, mushrooms
3 Tbsp tomato paste
Can of black beans or refried beans
or pinto beans
Oil to fry
¾ cup of grated Angel Food cheddar
Serve with salad, guacamole and hot sauce
* Fry the onion, pepper and garlic until the onion is clear, stirring all the time.
* Add the cumin, oregano and the other vegies and cook on high for 5 minutes stirring and adding a tiny bit of water if it’s sticking.
* Add the tomato paste and can of beans , simmer and reduce for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
* Remove from the heat and construct the burritos by holding them in your hand. Place a spoonful of the mix and some grated cheese in the middle and fold it like a small package to keep all the ingredients inside.
* Place them upside down on an oven try (to hold the seals tight ) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until they are golden brown on top.
You can add vegan cheese to the outside of the packages for the last 5 mins too if you like. The packages can also be shallow fried instead of baked.
Serve with salad, guacamole, salsa and hot sauces!
You can experiment with the recipe and stuff your tortilla with ingredients you like!
Chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito that is popular in Tex-Mex, Southwestern U.S. cuisine. The dish is typically prepared by filling a flour tortilla with a wide range of ingredients, most commonly rice, cheese and beans, and folding it into a rectangular package.
Source: Vegan Society