Date & Walnut Loaf
2 heaped teaspoons Orgran Egg Replacer (or tapioca starch)
6 tablespoons (90ml) water
1 cup pitted dates, chopped and 1 carrot, finely grated
½ cup chopped preserved ginger
¼ cup canola oil and 1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 cup boiling water
½ cup granulated sugar and 1 cup walnuts, chopped
¾ cup white flour and ¾ cup brown flour
½ teaspoon baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt
* Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a loaf tin, put the kettle on to boil.
* Using a blender whiz up the egg replacer and the water for a minute or so in a large bowl, combine the dates, carrot, ginger, oil, baking soda and boiling water.
* Stir and leave aside for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, stir in the sugar, walnuts and egg replacer.
* In a smaller bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and salt. Add to the date mixture and stir until just combined, don’t over-mix.
* Spread evenly in the loaf tin, bake for about 50-60 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
* Cool turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Eat! Yum!
Source: Liana Holman