1¼ cups dried figs sliced
2 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup chopped red onion
Zest and juice of one orange
½ tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
* Place the figs in a small saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil and simmer, with the lid off, until the water is reduced to about ½ cup.
* Sauté the onion in the oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
* Add the orange zest, juice, allspice, cardamon and salt, and stir to combine.
* Add the figs, and their liquid, to the onion mixture and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
* Stir in the maple syrup and remove from heat.
* When the mixture has cooled, blend in a food processor to desired consistency – chunky or smooth.
This savoury spread is a good appetiser to have on hand over Xmas and the holiday period. Spread on crackers and toast or use as a pizza topping. Makes 1¾ cups
Source: Cathy Duffield