Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
yellow onions, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
thyme and rosemary
3 Tbs tomato paste
1 1/2 cups green or brown dried lentils
3-4 cups vege broth/stock
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbs soy or tamari soy sauce
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
Potatoes and cauliflower for topping
Make the lentil filling
1. Heat olive oil in an ovenproof casserole dish and saute onions with a pinch of salt.
2. Add the garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook, stirring for a couple more minutes.
3. Add tomato paste (and if you like, half cup of red wine). Stir in for a few minutes.
4. Add the vege stock, lentils and paprika. Stir to combine and bring to boil. Then simmer until lentils are tender and most of the liquid absorbed – about 25 minutes.
Make the topping
5. Meanwhile chop and boil the potatoes. After 10 minutes add the chopped cauliflower and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
6. Turn the heat to low and add the soy and balsamic vinegar.
7. Thoroughly drain the potato/cauliflower mix, season and add a touch of vegan butter and/or plant milk. You can also add nutritional yeast for flavour. Mash well.
8. Scoop the potato mix on top of your lentil mix and spread out til well covered. For extra flavour drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
9. Bake for 20 minutes with lid on. Then remove lid and grill for a few more minutes until the potato top starts to brown.
10. Delicious served with peas and other greens!
Source: Rainbow Plant Life