3 eggplants (cut into cubes)
1 tbsp sesame oil
Spring onions (sliced/for garnish)
Sesame seeds (for garnish)
Rice (for serving)
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 large garlic cloves (crushed) and 1-inch ginger (grated)
2 tbsp maple syrup and 2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp miso paste and 2 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp chilli flakes and ½ tsp chilli powder
½ cup vegetable stock
* Sprinkle a generous amount of salt over all the eggplant (this removes the excess liquid and bitterness). Set aside for 30 minutes.
* After 30 minutes, dab away the moisture and salt off the eggplant with a paper towel.
* Mix all the SAUCE ingredients in a medium bowl.
* Heat up sesame oil in a large skillet. Add eggplant and cook for 4 minutes on a high heat.
* Pour over the sauce, stir and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes (adding more water if it dries up too much).
* Garnish with spring onions and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
Source: Huma Tysoe
To see more recipes from Huma, follow her on Instagram or Facebook @peacefulplanteater