Moroccan Stew on Mint Potato Mash
1 garlic clove (crushed)
1 white onion (finely chopped)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can black beans
2 cups of baby spinach
Large handful of fresh mint
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt & cracked black pepper to taste
1/2 cup vege stock
2 x large white potatoes (diced)
3 TBS coconut milk
Serves 2 (this dish keeps well and is great for next day lunches)
* Cut potatoes into small cubes and set to boil in a pot in water, with a pinch of salt.
* On a medium to high heat, in a large pan stir fry finely chopped onion and crushed garlic clove with spices including salt and pepper (see ingredient list) adding small amounts of vege stock as you go to stop from sticking to the pan.
*Stir fry until onion and garlic are softened
* Add the drained can of black beans & the can of chopped tomatoes to the pan and leave to simmer for 5 mins
* Add any remaining vege stock if you feel it needs more liquid.
* Add baby spinach, and a handful of roughly chopped mint leaves to pan and simmer for a few mins or until the baby spinach has softened
* For the Potato Mash – Drain water from the boiled potatoes, and keep in the pot, then add 3 TBS coconut milk, a pinch of Himalayan salt, and a few chopped mint leaves to taste, then mash until smooth and creamy (use a fork to whip potatoes after mashing to remove any lumps)
* Serve stew over mashed potatoes & garnish with mint leaves and smoked paprika
Source: Sonia Clark