Spaghetti with Meatballs
A packet of egg-free spaghetti
Can of tomatoes and a can of nutmeat
2 onions and a red pepper
Small bunch of parsley
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp paprika and salt and pepper
2 tsp cumin
2 TBsp of tomato paste
1/3 cup of chick pea or plain flour
Half a cup of grated vegan cheddar
Oil to cook and 2 Tbsp olive oil
For the meatballs
* Open a can of nut meat at both ends and push it out.
* Rough chop all of it and mix it in a bowl with a finely chopped onion, 2 crushed garlic cloves, chopped parsley, cumin, salt and pepper, paprika, olive oil and the chickpea flour or plain flour.
* Squash it all together firmly with your hands, adding water to get the right consistency for rolling into balls.
* Roll up and bake the balls for 20 mins in a well-greased tin at medium heat for 20-30 mins or until golden and crispy.
* Roll them over occasionally as they cook.
For the sauce
* Make a sauce by frying chopped onion, crushed garlic, salt and pepper, till the onion is clear, add the tomato paste- stirring it in for a few minutes, then add the can of tomatoes and cook it through for 10-15 mins.
* When that’s almost done cook your spaghetti by plunging it into a pot of boiling water and cook as per instructions.
* Plate up the spaghetti and spoon over the sauce. Place the meatballs on top with grated vegan cheddar, perhaps other vegies like broccoli and mushrooms and eat!
Vegie Delights nutmeat can be found in most supermarkets in the tin foods section.
Source: Vegan Society