1 cup white beans
2 cups water
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp salt and 2 tsp paprika
2 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp ground fennel
1 tsp sage and 1 tsp pepper
1 tsp soy sauce
2 3/4 cup wheat gluten
* Get water steaming in your steamer.
* Place all ingredients except the gluten flour in a blender and process until smooth.
* Pour into a bowl. Add gluten flour and work into a dough.
* Shape dough into a log and wrap in heavy duty foil/or cheese cloth like a sausage roll. Try to make the roll as thick as possible. Steam for 1 hour.
* Preheat oven to 175 degrees C in the last 15 mins of steaming.
* Remove seitan from steamer and bake for 45-60 mins.
* Seitan should swell and press against the foil.
* Cool and slice as needed for sandwiches. This seitan holds up very well and can be shaved very thin. Store in the fridge!
I found this recipe to be extremely versatile. You can flavour it the way you like as long as you stick to the bean, gluten and water ratio. A friend of mine has even cooked it in a smoker with great results. Kids love this and its great for anyone’s lunchbox or sandwiches.
Source: Amanda Sorrenson – Adapted from Vegan Dad – Vegandad.blogspot.com