Suggestions for your regular food shop
Check out our dairy alternatives, meat alternatives, and other pages under this Try Vegan section for suggestions of what to buy as well.
- Fruit and vegetables. Stock up on lots! You could try a local farmers market for good value.
- Grains – pasta, rice, cous cous, quinoa, noodles (check they don’t contain egg). A base to many meals and great to have in stock.
- Nuts and seeds – cashews, almonds, walnuts etc plus pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Beans – tinned or get dried beans. Kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, pinto beans, etc. Baked beans for breakfasts.
- Tinned/shelf foods – such as chopped tomatoes, sweet corn, coconut cream (for use in curries), curry pastes
- Chilled foods – tofu, tempeh, vegan sausages and burgers, falafel mix, dairy free yoghurt’s, dairy free margarine etc can all be found in the fridge.
- Frozen foods – Fry’s brand of vegan sausages and more are found in the freezer along with many other vegan options, usually in the same location. Vegan ice creams for a sweet treat. Vegan Pastry (New Way or Homebrand)
- Hummus, tahini, and dips – many varieties are found in the fridge.
- Milks – if you like milk in tea/coffee or enjoy cereal for breakfast then add plant based milks to your list.
- Breakfast cereals/oats. Check labels as some cereals do contain milk or honey.
- Bread/pita/crackers. Great for lunches with hummus
- Toiletries and household products – many products are vegan friendly in supermarkets, always check for a cruelty free label and ingredients as some things can even contain milk!