Getting startedYour Vegan Shopping list
Suggestions for stocking your pantry and fridge
You don’t have to go out and buy everything on this list ~ select what you fancy trying from each section. You’ll find your own favourites and what pops up in the foods you like.
- Fruit and vegetables – stock up on lots! You could try a local farmers market for good value.
- Grains – pasta and noodles (check they don’t contain egg), try edamame or black bean noodles, or wholegrain pasta, rice (brown rice is healthier and you can buy quick cook sachets), cous cous, quinoa, bulghar wheat, millet.
A base to many meals, a perfect nutrition match for beans and lentils and a must for the pantry.
- Nuts and seeds – cashews, almonds, walnuts (good for your omega-3), raw peanuts, brazil plus pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.
Nuts and seeds are little powerhouses of goodness!
- Beans / lentils – tinned for convenience or get dried beans and soak overnight. Kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, pinto beans, cannellini. Baked beans for breakfasts. Dried lentils are about as quick to cook as rice – brown, puy or red.
- Condiments and extras – herbs and spices – regulars in many vegan recipes include cumin, coriander, paprika, smoked paprika, turmeric, oregano, cinnamon, cardamom, chilli flakes.
To discover: nutritional yeast, liquid smoke (amazing additions to your vegan pantry – wait til you see what you can do with them!) Olive oil, coconut oil, canola oil, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce (tamari for gluten free soy)
- Tinned/shelf foods – chopped tomatoes, lentils, sweet corn, coconut cream (for use in curries), curry pastes, peanut or almond butter, tahini, vegan hunny, agave, rice syrup or maple syrup
- Chilled foods – tofu, tempeh, vegan sausages and burgers, falafel mix, dairy free yoghurt, dairy free margarine or vegan butter, plant milk, vegan cheese, vegan spreads – hummus or pesto (or super quick and cheap to make your own).
- Frozen foods – meat, chicken or fish alternatives from brands like Sunfed, Beyond or Gardein, Peas and edamame beans, blueberries (amazing little anti-oxidants!), vegan ice creams for a sweet treat, vegan pastry (New Way or Homebrand).
- Breakfast cereals/oats – check labels as some cereals do contain milk or honey.
Wholegrain oats are a great base for a healthy porridge breakfast.
- Bread/pita/crackers/wraps – great for lunches with hummus
- Treats – check ingredients but dark chocolate is often vegan. Whittakers if over 50% Cocoa (except caramel), very dark Lindt and many other speciality brands. Oreos are vegan. Many supermarkets do vegan cake and brownie choices.
- Toiletries and household products – many products are vegan friendly in supermarkets, always check for a cruelty free label and ingredients as some things can even contain milk!
The following are the items our Pasifika team used to create the amazing recipes you’re about to try. You can always substitute with other things if you don’t like the ingredients suggested:
Macro Organic Coconut Flakes Toasted
Macro Organic Coconut Oil
Leggo’s Passata Classic Tomato Sauce
Chelsea Agave Syrup
Just Foods Vegan Classic Mayonnaise
Just Foods Vegan Aioli
Masterfoods Celery Salt
Ceres Organic Young Jackfruit Can
Countdown Yellow Jackfruit in Syrup Can
Exotics By South Oyster Mushrooms
Gardein Classic Meatless Meatballs
Tasti Yeast Active
Edmonds Active Yeast
Bean Supreme Firm Style Plain Tofu
Tonzu Organic Firm Tofu
Mama San Udon Noodles
Dragon Food Udon
The Craft Meat Co. Plant Based Mince
Sunfed Chicken-Free Chicken
Tonzu Vegan Sausages
Zenzo Dairy Free Cheddar Cheese
Zenzo Vegan Original Mozzarella
Zenzo Vegan Sour Cream
Pasifika Vegan Cookalong
EVENT POSTPONED: stay tuned for the next date
Spiced Tofu Scramble and Green Bananas
with Vegan Palusami Cabbage.
400g organic tofu
2 Tbs curry powder
2 Tbs turmeric
1 Tbs garlic, 1tsp ginger
1 tsp chilli, blended
Fresh coriander to garnish
Lemongrass or moengalo (optional)
4 green bananas
1/2 red or white cabbage
2 fresh tomatoes or tomato paste
1 cup coconut cream
1/2 tsp fresh chilli or chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Non-stick frying pan
Medium pot x 2
Bowls for plating