Fijian Dahl with Rice
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1 small piece of ginger (finely grated)
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3 tomatoes (diced)
1-2 small carrots (finely grated)
1 1/2 cup of red split lentils
4 cups of veggie stock or water (we use vegan Massel Chicken Style Stock from PaknSave)
1 can coconut cream OR coconut milk
Fresh coriander (chopped) – Optional
Chilli – Optional
* Saute the onion, garlic and ginger in a pot using a little oil or water.
* Once the onion softens add the mustard seeds, cumin and curry powder and saute for a minute or less.
* Add the tomatoes and carrots and saute for a couple of minutes.
* Rinse the lentils then add them along with the veggie stock.
* Bring to a boil while stirring frequently. Then let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils softens and becomes mushy.
* Stir in the coconut milk/coconut cream. Add salt to taste. Add chilli to taste if you wish.
* Serve with your favourite rice and sprinkle some freshly chopped coriander on top. Enjoy!
If you have a pressure cooker, you can put all the prepared ingredients (except for coriander and coconut cream/milk) straight in the pot and cook for about 15 mins. Release the pressure and stir in the coconut cream/milk.
For extra protein and nutrients, you can add a cup of frozen peas at the end.
Contributor: Helene Taito-Jensen