Jackfruit Chop Suey with Noodles
2 tsp garlic
2 tsp ginger
1 x capsicum
½ cup frozen peas
1 x 400g can of jackfruit
4 tbsp soy sauce
Salt and pepper
* Finely dice garlic, ginger, onion, capsicum, and mushrooms.
* Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Once the pan is at temperature, pan-fry onion, capsicum and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
* Drain the can of jackfruit and either use your hands or a tea towel to squeeze out as much water as possible from the jackfruit.
* Slice the jackfruit to resemble shredded chicken.
* Add the jackfruit, garlic and ginger to the vegetables cooking in the pan with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Continue cooking for a further 5 – 10 minutes covered.
* Boil a jug or a pot of water. Add the vermicelli to the boiled water in a bowl or pot. Allow to soak in the water for 5 minutes. Once the vermicelli is translucent, cut the noodles using a kitchen scissors before draining the water.
* After 5-10 minutes of the jackfruit and vegetables cooking, add the frozen peas and continue cooking covered until peas are done.
* Season with salt and pepper; add the vermicelli and the last 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
* Stir together in the pan, taste and add extra seasoning and soy sauce if desired.
Can be serve with cooked rice.
TIP: This recipe is flexible with the type of vegetables you can use, such as, frozen mixed vegetables, carrots, celery, spring onions, sliced cabbage, broccoli, silverbeet and taro leaves (pre-cooked) are others.
To increase the protein content, ½ cup cooked brown lentils or cooked black beans could be added to this recipe.
Contributor: Rosie Pukeiti