Turmeric Manioke with Vegetable Sapasui
4 Manioke or cassava
1 cup corn flour
1 tbs smoked paprika & 1 tbs turmeric
2 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 golf ball size piece ginger (peeled)
3 tbs soy sauce (GF optional)
4 tbs sesame oil
3 cloves garlic & 1 lge onion
Small bunch onion weed (seasonal could be growing in your backyard or maunga)
2 lge carrots & 3 sticks celery
1/4 cabbage white, red or mixed
1 cup plain plant based yoghurt
Black pepper & 2 tsp salt
Vegetable oil for frying
Method (makes enough for 4)
* Remove and split open to remove the woody strings down the centre.
* Finely chop ginger, garlic and a chilli (if using) and cook in sesame oil on high for a few minutes.
* Add sliced vegies and corn and soy sauce and caramelise for 5 mins.
* Add the drained vermacelli noodles and cook off for 5 mins or so.
* Come back to the cassava and liberally sprinkle corn flour over the pieces.
* Mix the cornflour into the cassava pieces with the maranade, until each piece is well coated.
* Shallow or deep fry these nuggets and serve over the sapasui on a plate.
* Top with chopped onion flowers and a few chopped stems.
Source: Rebecca Fa’avaoga