* 400g chickpeas (canned)
* 1 + 1/2 cup icing sugar
* 1 tsp cream of tartar
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
* coconut whipping cream
* fruit to decorate
* chocolate grated (optional)
Chocolate topping (optional):
* half a block dark chocolate
* 1 tbs oil
- Separate the Aquafaba/ Chickpea brine from the chickpeas by draining it into a separate container.
- Place the container into the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat your oven to 120°C (fab bake) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using an electric stand or hand mixer, begin whisking the mixture on high speed for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, gradually begin adding your sugar a tablespoon at a time (still whisking), allowing the sugar to dissolve easier. Once all the sugar has been added, continue whisking for 6 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and crème of tartar and continue to mix for a further 2 minutes or until you have stiff peaks.
- Spoon the meringue onto your baking paper, using the back of the spoon to shape your peaks.
- Place in the over for 2 hours.
- Turn off the oven and allow the meringue to cool in the oven for a further 1 hour
(DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN).
Coconut whipped cream:
- Scoop your coconut cream (Natures Choice) into a bowl and using your electronic mixer, beat on high for approximately 3 minutes.
- Store in the fridge until your meringue is ready to top.
- Choose your fruit, chocolate, or toppings of choice and top as you desire! We recommend passionfruit pulp, sliced mango and blueberries!
- We recommend chilling both your coconut cream and chickpea water before using.
- DO not open the oven during baking the meringue, this will increase the likelihood of the meringue cracking.
- For best results let the pavlova cool completely before topping. Top just before serving to prevent the pavlova from collapsing.
- Want to try something different? Draw 3 circles on your baking paper, fill with meringue and you can stack your pavlova in layer, with coconut cream and fruit in-between.
Recipe from Holly Robinson, The Vegan Society